Wednesday, November 18, 2009

This Is Drugs. This Is Your Brain On Drugs

I was in elementary school. My dad played for the church softball team. They practiced on Sunday afternoons, but played on Friday nights. I used to love to go to the games, because sometimes afterwards, everyone would go to Shakey’s Pizza and my dad would give me a bunch of quarters to play video games.

On this afternoon, the whole family went to softball practice. The field was about 20 minutes from our house. It was a nice warm day. Practice was well underway when my mom realizes that she had put eggs on to boil and forgot to turn them off before we left for practice. There is nothing she can do. Practice is almost over and she just has to wait it out.

When we got home, the eggs had exploded and were all over the ceiling of the kitchen. AND DID IT SMELL! Do you know what sulfur smells like? Take a guess. It is gross. And the pan had melted to the stove, which was a whole other smell added to the mix.

Jeff and I were told to stay out of the way while she scraped the eggs off of the ceiling and aired out the house.

When Scott was in the Navy and I would go visit him on the ship to take him dinner, I would smell the sulfur down at the docks, and it would take me right back to this moment.

I can guarantee you that this only has to happen to someone once and they learn to check the stove, oven and all other appliances before they leave the house.

1 comment: