Monday, November 23, 2009

Pressed Turkey, Pilgrim Hats and Too Much Glue

When Courtney was in 1st grade, we tried mainstreaming her for part of the day. We got notice that there was going to be a Thanksgiving lunch at the school for all of the 1st grade parents. So, Scott and I both took long lunches and went to the school.

Parents were asked to wait in the hallway. As we were sitting there waiting for our yummy school lunch of pressed turkey and instant potatoes, here comes Courtney’s class down the hall. All of the kids are in a single file line. All of the kids have pilgrim hats on.

All of the kids but Courtney.

I make eye contact with the teacher and she just looks at me and kind of shakes her head. I look at Courtney, who is THRILLED that we are at her school. I notice that her bangs have something hard and crusty in them.

Finally, it is time for the parents to go into the lunch room and sit down for lunch with our kids. As I sit down I ask her where her pilgrim hat is and what in the world did she get in her hair.

“I am not wearing that stupid hat.”

“How come?”

“I’m just not.”

“Okay. What is in your hair?”

“Oh – that’s glue.”

Just then the teacher walked up and explained that Court got a little happy with the glue and when she put on her hat, she glued it to her head. Then when she tried to take it off, it pulled out some hair, and there was no way anyone could get her to put it back on.

Even today that child uses too much glue. She takes a glue stick to something with gusto I have never seen the likes of before.

Back in 1st grade, that story made me a little sad.

Today, it is one of my favorite Courtney stories.

Happy Thanksgiving My Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment