Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Graves Attitude

There is this thing that runs in my family. It is called the “Graves” attitude. It comes with a furrowed brow and big mouth.

When I was little my dad bought a pair of cleats at Sears. He wore them several times and one of the cleats broke off while he was playing softball for the church. He decided that he was going to clean those bad boys up and return them. My mom told him there was no way that Sears was going to take back those cleats and not to even waste his time trying to return them. But bound and determined he was and I was all too eager to go with him to the store.

When we arrived, we went to the Sporting Goods Department. Back then, they didn’t have stores that just specialized in sporting goods like they do now. Let me set this up for you….he gets in line at the register that is directly in front of the escalator. I know he didn’t do that on purpose, but this will play an important part later in the story. So he is standing in line and I am with him and I am like 8 years old. I am standing there, with my dad, happy as can be. When it is our turn, my dad tells the cashier, who is like maybe 18, that he would like to return these cleats because one broke off, blah, blah, blah. The cashier opens the shoe box and can tell that these cleats have been worn. Very kindly he says that he cannot give my dad his money back because company policy and yada, yada, yada. My dad informs the kid that he was sold defective cleats and he wants his money back. Again, the poor guy explains policy to my dad.

Dad then asks to speak to his manager.

This is where it gets interesting.

Keep in mind where we are standing. Also keep in mind that not one member of the Graves family knows how to speak in a low tone unless you are my mom and then it is only in church and through clenched teeth.

The cashier tells my dad that he IS the manager. Dad proceeds to tell him that he doesn’t believe him and wants him to get a manager.

People that were going to go up the escalator have stopped and gathered. People that made the mistake of taking the escalator have come back down to see how this is going to play out. All the while I am standing there in my pony tails and wire rimmed glasses not uttering a word but looking at all these people watching US.

“I am the person in charge”

“There has got to be someone here other than you that is in charge”

“Nope, just me”

“You are MR. SEARS?”

Mr. Sears. He said that and people busted out laughing.

The kid gave my dad his money back and we left the store.

We drove home in silence.

When we got home, my mom asked what happened and dad told her that they refunded his money.

She looked at me and I burst out with the entire story.

She shook her head and didn’t have much to say.

I never went with my dad to return anything ever again. But I guarantee you that I have called on him to use that attitude on my behalf plenty of times!

1 comment:

  1. I wish you could have heard Jeff tell the tale of me taking them shopping for a shirt for Jeff when Pa Hogan died. Jeff was 19 or so, had recently been diagnosed with diabetes and lost 100 pounds, and I had stayed up all night altering his suit. His version of the shopping tale ends with me saying to the sales clerk, who did not want to let Jeff try on the shirt for size, "My boys will whup your butt."

    ReplyDelete