Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Come Out of the Closet and Wash Your Hands and Face

I think she was in 3rd grade, but I could be wrong on that. She was young and she was little.

At night before we went to bed, we always went into her room to make sure her covers were pulled up and that she was okay.

It was December and her room tended to be colder than the rest.

With only the hall light on, we go into her room. I can’t see her. I start to feel around for her and I can’t find her. I thought maybe she was wedged between the mattress and the wall but she is not there.

I look at Scott and with panic in my voice tell him she is not there.

We are standing there just staring at each other. I don’t know what Scott was thinking but I know what I was and it wasn’t good.

Just then her closet door opens up and out she walks.

She puts her hands on her hips and asks us just what are we doing in her room.

I notice there is something all over her face.

And her hands.

“What were you doing in the closet?”

“Nothing.”

“Something. What is all over your face?”
“Nothing.”

Meanwhile Scott has opened the closed and found a big old cane tube filled with Shrek M&M’s. Green and brown ones. She was in the closet eating them. She had a stash!

Now, she went to bed at 8:00pm. It was now 11:00pm. As she is washing her face and hands and re-brushing her teeth, I am trying to be mad at her. But I can’t. This was just funny. I couldn’t let her know I wasn’t mad, so I had to fake it.

But when Scott and I went to bed, we laid there and laughed.

This child so should have come with an instruction manual.

3 comments:

  1. THIS IS TOO FUNNY. I LOVE COURT :)-NICKIE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sooo remember when she did that! If you would just give the poor girl candy every once and a while....

    k

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this story too... :-)

    ReplyDelete