Thursday, November 19, 2009

Sainthood

Scott and I have a weird kind of marriage. Weird in the wonderful sense of the word.

I have told you before that Scott didn’t really land him the best little housewife on the west coast. When we got married, I did not know how to cook. I knew what the kitchen was for, I just didn’t know what to do once I got in there. I knew how to do laundry, but wouldn’t put it away. To this day, it is not uncommon for me to do laundry, fold it, put it in the laundry basket and then just leave it. I can clean a house if I really wanted to, but let’s face it, it has to be REALLY dirty for me to devote any time to it and I can think of a million other things I could be doing.

I remember when we were first married, I got home from work before Scott. I was back in the bedroom changing and he walked in. He told me he didn’t wonder where I was, because he just had to follow the trail of crap I left behind. I had no idea what he was talking about, so he took me into the living room and proceeded to show me where I had left my shoes (right by the front door, cause they were the first things I took off when I got home), my purse (on the back of the couch because I had to set it there to take off my shoes – duh!), my jacket (over the back of the kitchen chair…in my defense, I was going to hang it up in the coat closet that was just an extra two steps to the right when I got done changing), my nylons (on the bathroom floor, I had taken them off while going to the bathroom cause I can’t go at work because those bathrooms are gross, and I really needed to go when I got home) and my skirt and blouse on the bed (where are you supposed to put things when are changing?).

So it began, I would try to be better and he would try to overlook some things.

I know that if I come home from work and all of my shoes are lined up in a nice row, it is time for me to get them in their designated place in the closet. I know if all of my stuff is in a stack on the bedside table, that he wants me to do something with it soon. If the stack has moved to the bed, I should do something with it before going to bed that night. And he is really good about the laundry. If I take the time to do it and fold it, he will put it away.

The scary thing is, I see some of me in Courtney. She lives in the upstairs part of our house. We put her clean and folded laundry (and anything else that needs to go upstairs) on the stairs banister. That is her clue to take it up with her when she goes. She doesn’t have to stop what she is doing, she just needs to take it the next time she goes up. She will go up and down all day and not take anything with her. So, I started putting things ON the stairs. Then I watched as she JUMPED over them to go up AND down the stairs. Finally, I told her to take them up with her, and she looked surprised that they were there. SURPRISED. Really?

Whoever marries this girl is going to need to be a saint.

Lord knows that Scott has earned his seat at the right hand of God being married to me!

1 comment:

  1. I actually have considered placing a box in the living that I can throw all of your crap into and leaving it in a conspicuous location that you can't ignore (your bathtub) as your clue to do something with it. Lucky for you, I'm a nice guy...

    -Scott

    ReplyDelete