Monday, December 21, 2009

The Odd Couples

You know what is funny?

Not funny as in ha, ha. Funny as in…I don’t really have a word for it, funny as in odd.

It is funny how people come into your life.

Scott and I are friends with a couple who are too old to be our parents, but not old enough to be our grandparents. They are between that. They are tweeners!
This couple includes us in family functions. They remember all of our birthdays. They make sure that we are not alone for holidays. They have helped me and guided me through part of my adult walk with God. They hug us when we walk in and when we leave.

Last night we had our Christmas with them. There was great food and even better company. It came time to open the gifts and I must tell you that we received the best gift last night! They must have saved every single picture they have ever taken of Courtney and made us a calendar. There are pictures of her when she was 4 and 5 years old. There are some I don’t even remember being taken. And with each turn of the page, there she was again and again growing up.

We will treasure this gift and I can’t wait for January to get here so I can hang it up!

I am grateful for their gift and their friendship.

Who would have thought that all of us would be as good as friends as we are?

Whatever it is we have, the dynamics of it work.

And that might be odd, but it is also really great!

1 comment:

  1. We're not really too old to be your parents. So you had better watch out - I can make you sit in the corner if the need arises.

    ReplyDelete