Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Me and My Drum

Christmas.

Ughh.

The time of year where people go into debt to make sure that everyone gets a gift and everyone had the same amount spent on them. Some people, who don't have enough money to pay cash for everything, will put it on credit cards and spend all of the next year paying it off only to repeat the process again.

What have we all been taught? When Jesus was born, people came from all over bringing him gifts. Expensive gifts at that. It makes sense, to some, that we should buy expensive gifts for each other.

But maybe it doesn't have to be that way. Let's look at the little drummer boy, shall we?

He was told to come see a new born King and that people were coming from all over bringing him the finest of gifts. But he was poor. He had nothing to bring. Did that stop him from going? Nope. He still went.

Imagine his surprise when he showed up and there was a KING in a stable with cattle. Still, people were bringing the best of the best and gifting it to the child.

I have no gift to bring
That's fit to give a King

All he had to offer was what he did best - play the drum.

What do you think Christmas would be like if all we gave was the best of us?

Do you think people would rejoice?

Do you think people would get mad?

What if all I could give was the service of raking my neighbor's leaves up in the yard? Do you think they would think that was the best gift ever?

Maybe. Maybe not.

But as long as I remember that I gave my best that is all that matters.

I played my drum for him
I played my best for him

I chose to believe that Mary and Joseph loved that drum playing the best of all.

Because it came from the heart.

Pa rum, pum, pum, pum

1 comment:

  1. Melissa, you are so very right! Very well written, I love it!

    ReplyDelete