Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Me and You and A Dog Named Blue

We were living in Key West. Courtney was about 2 and I decided that we needed a dog. The reason I came to this decision is because the owner of the place where we all got our hair cut had a chocolate lab that hung out in the shop and Courtney loved that dog. So I begged Scott to take me to the Humane Society to look at dogs. It was against his better judgment, but he took me.

When we got there it was very loud. All of the dogs were barking at us trying to get our attention.

All except one.

She was in her pen just looking at me. When I came up to her gate, she came up to me, but didn’t bark. I told Scott this was the dog I wanted. She was a black lab. They didn’t know how old she was. They didn’t know where she came from. They didn’t know if she was good with kids. They just didn’t know anything about her.

But I wanted her.

We paid for her, but for some reason I don’t remember, we didn’t pick her up until the next day. She was full of ticks and had two different kinds of worms. We took her to the vet and got her fixed and she became a permanent part of our family.

We named her Blue, which really confused our child who was learning her colors at the time. A black dog named Blue was odd, but then so are we, so she fit right in.

She wasn’t a big barker at all. She came knowing how to sit and shake. Whenever we moved, all we had to do was walk the property line with her and she stayed in our yard. She never needed a leash to be outside. She would shake the grass or water off of her on command. She never destroyed any of our things. She was everything I wanted her to be.

I remember when we brought Oliver home she was so mad at us. She would be in the room with us, but would sit with her back to us. But eventually, she relented and liked him. She even shared her bed with him until he was just so annoying, then she would kick him off.

We had that girl for 11.5 years.

And there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t miss her!

If you are ever looking for a pet, please consider a rescue. There are a lot of animals out there that need a good home and there are a lot of families out there that need a good pet!

3 comments:

  1. She was an awesome dog. i will never forget when you all came over to mike and christy's for new years and i believe scott woke up early to let her out and forgot about the alarm being on. everyone got a loud wake up call that morning. awwwww, good times :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly how we found our wonderful dog. There were two dogs fighting and he was the only one not barking. He just came up to Mike and wanted to be loved!

    ReplyDelete