Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Rituals

So Scott and I have this thing that we do every night.

When it is time for ME to go to bed (I go much earlier than him as he is afraid he is going to miss something. What? I don’t know) I go in our room, shut the door, turn off the light and almost make it to the bed before the door is opened and the light is back on. I act mad as I am getting into bed that he has turned the light on.

As he is pulling up my covers, he tells me to quit complaining and kisses me goodnight.

The words I love you are exchanged and three seconds later I am asleep.

To anyone on the outside looking in, that is the most dysfunctional exchange two people can have. I am sure they would wonder why night after night Scott continues to come in and kiss me goodnight.

It has worked for us for the past 16 years and, truth be told, I like that routine. I go to bed every night with the last words I hear from my husband are that he loves me. I am never mad.

I would be mad if the door didn’t open back up and the lights didn’t come back on.

There are about 5 nights a year that sleep deprivation catches up with Scott and he goes to bed before me.

And there are about 5 nights a year I feel cheated out of my ritual.

Thank God for rituals that only matter to two people in the whole world.

3 comments:

  1. And here I thought you were really getting mad! Where's the fun in it now?

    - Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can you even begin to think people would find this dysfunctional? It's nothing less than beautiful.

    k

    ReplyDelete