Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Girl of Few Words

When Courtney was little, she used to say things twice …”What did you say? What did you say, mommy?” She used to chatter to Scott and I about all sorts of things.

Before bed every night, Scott would read her a book. She always got to pick it out. There are two that come to mind right away when I think back to those days. Are You My Mother? and Go Dog Go. Scott would read them to her and she would say her favorite parts out loud right along with him. Both of them would be on her bed on their stomachs, Courtney’s chin in her hands and her knees bent with crossed ankles. I think that was her favorite part of her day.

Every day when school gets out and Scott picks her up, she calls me to tell me about her day. What used to be a 20 minute conversation from everything she had for breakfast all the way to what her dad said to her when she got in the car, has turned into 3 or 4 words at best….

Me: How was your day, Courtney?
Her: Fine.
Me: Do you have homework?
Her: Yes.
When did she go from a little girl to a teenager? Or maybe the better question is when did she quit talking to me?

Everyone says this is normal. This is what teenagers do.

I long for the days of bedtime stories and dissertations about her days! For footie pajamas and Sippy cups. For the days when I was her hero and could fix anything with a bowl of ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment