Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Family

When I was little we went to church every Sunday. And by every Sunday, I mean unless we were out of town or on our death beds. Otherwise, we were there.

My mom would get us up on Sunday mornings and make sure our hair was washed, body clean, no dirt under our fingernails and, usually, my brother and I were in color coordinated outfits.

My dad would give us offering money for Sunday School. I always thought it was cool that my offering money was "big" - nickles. They had to be better than my brother's "small" money - dimes. Surely, bigger was better. Looking back, I now understand the look my brother and dad exchanged - silly girl doesn't realize that dimes are worth more than nickles.

At that time, my dad was a human taxi. He would drive my brother and I the 20 minutes to church to drop us off for Sunday School. Drive 20 minutes home and then him and mom would come back for "big church".

My mom wouldn't let us go to children's church. She wanted us in church with her. She would, however, let us draw on the back of the bulletin - but not until the sermon started. I used to complain that the material of the church pew cushion made my legs itch like nobodies business. I think the church still has the same cushions. Boy did they get their monies worth!

Back then church was another family. Families always did things together. If someone was in the hospital, the church family visited. If someone died, the church family made food. If a baby was born, there was a rose on the organ the first Sunday in the baby's honor. Your church family celebrated with you and mourned with you.

Now here I am 40 years old with a 13 year old. The church we attend, when we go, is big. Too big for anyone to take the time to ask me my name, or to call me if I wasn't there one Sunday. Sunday School is at the same time as church, so Courtney doesn't want to go to church with me. There is no "family".

Living in Georgia is a long way from California. The closest family we have is Scott's parents and they are 4 hours away. So there are no weekly dinners or dropping Courtney off for a couple of hours so Scott and I can go off on our own for a while.

But I do have, what we have come to call, our Georgia Family. You know who you are. The ones who make sure that we are not alone on a holiday. The ones who love my kid unconditionally. the ones who if one of us were sick, would come visit. The ones who celebrate with me and mourn with me.

For them I am truly thankful.

But sometimes late at night when everyone is asleep and it is just me and my thoughts I wonder what it would be like to have weekly dinners and drop in visits.

5 comments:

  1. Melissa, I am so glad that you are blogging again. I kept looking on Bub's blog for the longest time. As I recall your last post was about your dad.
    I also miss the church "Family". And I miss the weekly dinners and drop in visits on two levels - the drop-in-or and the drop-in-ee. You have no idea how much we love it when you Coleman's "drop in" at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! This is a topic I think of often, especially with our "BIG" church. This is not to mention all of the politics and "social circles". Fortunately for us we really like the Pastor, not everyone does...he tells it like it is. If it's in The Book, it is! No fluff, like it or not, no opinions. We also like the childrens programs...but we are missing the church family. I am so glad we have you guys as part of our family. We love you Colemans unconditionaly! *I am going to cry*

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful and warm remembrance. I grew up with that drop in mentality. The support and comfort of "my" community gave such reassurance. Also, knowing your mother as i do, I can picture the Sunday service and it makes me smile. My sister had a sunsuit she hated because it itched, but she was doomed to wear it. I can just visualize you in a little dress and bare legs. You are a talented writer. Thank you for sharing not only your thoughts, but your talent, as well. If you don't exactly remember who I am, we "shared" the little white house on the alley. It was my children's favorite house ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're blogging again! This is a lovely post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We feel the same way about how churches are becoming nowadays. If you have the opportunity, look at the website "family integrated church". Cory and I are hoping to attend one of these churches in the future. Church should be more than just showing up, families going their separate ways and an hour later everyone goes home with no one knowing another person there. "Family Driven Faith" by Voddie Bauchman will also show you that there is a different way to do things and that it is possible! Wish we were there to go to church with you again.

    ReplyDelete