Thursday, October 29, 2009

Everyday People

I was raised to believe that all of us are equal. It doesn’t matter who you are or what you do, we are equal. My parents have stressed to me the importance of being a good and decent person. That we should really live by the Golden Rule and Do Unto Others As You would Have Done Unto You.

There is a long hair that doesn’t like the short hair for being such a rich one who will not help the poor one.

I really try to live my life that way. It doesn’t matter to me what color you are, what you do for a living or your lifestyle. What matters to me is how you treat me and my family. If you treat us good, you are golden in my book.

There is a blue one who can’t accept the green one for living with a fat one trying to be a skinny one.

There is a story I was told about a pastor who, when it was time for communion, went to the table and, after the bread was broken said “Don’t think that you can’t come because you are the wrong color. Come. Don’t think that you can’t come because you don’t make enough money. Come. Don’t think you can’t come because you are gay. Come.”

*GASP* Did he say the “G” word?

And different strokes for different folks.

I believe that there is nothing wrong with being gay. And I know that some of you reading this do not agree with me at all.

I am no better and neither are you. We are the same whatever we do.

We are all trying the best we can each and every day. And each and every day all of us make mistakes. What is important is that we get up the next day and try again.

I want to raise my child to look beyond. Beyond the color. Beyond the money. Beyond the lifestyle.

To the person.

I want someone to look beyond with her. Beyond the quirkiness. Beyond the obsessivness. Beyond the autism.

To the person.

We’ve got to live together….

Let’s make the best of it, shall we?

And so on and so on and scooby dooby do

1 comment: