Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Landromat

Our washer broke.

Just as we got home from being out of town for the long weekend visiting Scott's parents.

With a suitcase full of dirty laundry.

So a trip to the laundromat was in order.

First we had to find one. Cause really who knows where one is unless you need it? Turns out there is one right up the road from where we live. SCORE!

Keep in mind, I have not been to one of these places since I had moved out of my parents house. Even when Scott and I got married, we had our own washer and dryer.

It took us a minute to figure out everything, but figure it out we did and set about loading the washers and getting them started. I was shocked to see that a load of laundry in the small washer cost $2.25 per load!!! That seemed really expensive to me.

There was a lady there doing her laundry. She was older than Scott and I - maybe like our parents age.

*Now keep in mind, in my head I think that only young single people use a laundromat. Also keep in mind that sometimes I lack a filter between my head and my mouth*

The lady starts to converse with us. Scott explained that our washer broke and that is why we are here. I just ASSUME that this lady's washer must have broke as well, because why would someone her AGE be her otherwise. And I proceed to say to the lady..."I don't know how poor people afford to do their laundry here. $2.25 a load is really expensive."

She looked at me and blinked and replied with a "why yes, yes it is."

The conversation ended kind of abruptly, but really, what does one talk about with strangers while doing laundry?

As we finish loading everything in the washers, Scott kept giving me a look and I can't for the life of me figure out what it means. When we finally go sit down, he says to me...

Scott: "way to insult the lady over there"

Me: "what?"

Scott: "Look at her, Melissa, she is wearing a house coat, she has 6 washers going and brought all of it in garbage bags. SHE IS POOR!"

Me: *Silence* *Blank Stare* *Crickets Chirping*

Me: "OOOOHHHH!!!!" Do you think I should apologize? I didn't mean it like that. I don't want her to think I think she is poor!"

Scott: "No! Don't say another word!"

Needless to say, the lady didn't talk to us anymore...not even while the clothes were drying.

1 comment:

  1. Yea, I remember those days at the landromat back in Enterprise, AL.

    ReplyDelete