Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Olympics

I love the Olympics.

I am not a huge sports fan, but I have certain events that I really like to watch. If they were on TV any other time, and I had something else to do, I wouldn't watch them. But if it is during the Olympics, I make the time.

I think I like the idea of the Olympics a little bit more. The worlds best of the best coming together to compete against each other. I like to see an event where a person/team just nails it. It doesn't matter to me which country they are from, if it a fantastic performance, I am proud of them.

But my favorite is the medal ceremonies. I can only imagine what it must be like to stand on that podium and hear your countries song playing in honor of you. When I watch that part of the Olympics, and I see an athlete get choked up with emotion, it just melts my heart.

When it is my country that is up there, it can bring a tear to my eye.

I don't know why I feel so proud. Clearly, I don't know the people on the podium, but if they are on Team USA I feel like some sort of proud parent or something.

Wierd, I know.

These games provide conversation at the office and with complete strangers.

Maybe the Coke commercials have it right....maybe we should all come together and be a team.

Instead of being on Team USA or Team Canada or Team Whatvever, we could all just be on the same team.

No comments:

Post a Comment