Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Birthday Post

As most of you who know me, know that I shared my birthday with my Uncle Wayne. He was exactly 30 years older than me, and he would have been 72 today.

He was a big man with a booming voice that scared me when I was a little girl.

He was a lawyer and, while I never saw him in court, I bet he scared the crap out of
people on the stand.

He bought Del Taco when I was in, like, 3rd grade. I thought that made him famous!!!
As I got older, he got less intimidating, and I found myself really liking him.

When I got married, Scott immediately took to him. They had the same kind of sense of humor.

He called me after I got married and told me how pretty I looked in my mom’s wedding
dress. That is my favorite memory of him.

Birthdays are, to me, important days. These are the days that God picked especially for you to be born.

God picked for me to share my birthday with my Uncle Wayne.

I think that is pretty cool.

I know there are some people who are scared to die, but not me! I know that when I die, he will be there waiting for me. He will greet me with a smile and simply say “Hello, Melissa.” I will say something stupid and he will loudly laugh, put his arm around me and usher me in.

Happy Birthday, Uncle Wayne! I hope in Heaven you are celebrating being pain free.

And I hope you know you are missed!

1 comment: