Thursday, December 9, 2010

Jingle Bell Rock

This Thanksgiving weekend, during our whirlwind travels, we stopped to eat at a Cracker Barrel in Florida.

For those of you reading this that don’t know what this place is, it is a restaurant that serves southern cooking and they also have a store that sells everything from toys to candies to dinnerware and clothes. This place is ALWAYS busy. Always. You can get breakfast anytime you wish and the food isn’t too bad.

While we were waiting for our table to open up, I popped in to use the restroom. (Too much information, I know, but stick with me because it plays an important part in this here story.) As usual, there was a line to us one of the three whopping toilets they had. In front of me is a grandmother and her grandson. He insisted on using his own stall. No big deal. He is a big boy and can handle things just fine, thank you very much.

The store, even though it is only the day after Thanksgiving, is already pumping Christmas music throughout the place. Even the restroom.

Finally it is my turn.

*Note* I don’t know if I can do the rest of this story the justice it deserves, but I am sure gonna try.

As I am taking care of business, the song Jingle Bell Rock comes on over the speakers. This is a song, I have found, that you either love or hate. There really isn’t too much middle ground. I can take it once or twice during the holidays, but after that, I am done.

Apparently, this little boy LOVES this song, as he sat on his potty and sang the whole thing at the top of his lungs, all the while swinging his feet and hitting the toilet. He would take deep loud breaths between each verse and was just belting it out.

His grandma was on the other side of the stall asking him if he was almost done because his Papa was ready to go.

The child didn’t answer.

He just sat there and sang that song from beginning to end.

What a bright time
It's the right time
To rock the night away


As I am washing my hands, the grandmother is apologizing to the line of ladies waiting to do what it is you do when you are in a restroom.

And I just grinned to myself.

Sometimes, even the most mundane tasks, like going potty, would be a lot more fun if we would just sing while we were doing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment