Monday, February 28, 2011

Summertime Memories

Growing up, in the summer, we would go stay a couple of weeks with my Grandmother in Porterville, CA. Doing this, we also got to stay with my Uncle Bill and Aunt Clidella.

Uncle Bill is my dad’s older brother.

His house was very cool to be at. Not only were my cousins, Luanne, Suzanne and Shannon there, but they had cats! My parents wouldn’t allow us to have animals and my Uncle always had cats and I loved cats!

My cousins were in FFA and raised sheep. One summer, I got to go with them to have the wool sheared off of the sheep. I thought that was cool.

They lived across the street from a huge orange grove and one time my cousin, Shannon, packed a picnic lunch and we went into the orange grove and sat under the trees and ate it together.

They had a pool in the back yard and every morning my Uncle would clean the pool. He would get the frogs out of the filters and he would have me get in and get the leaves he couldn’t get off of the bottom.

My Uncle owned a liquor store and when I went to store with him, he let me get candy and I didn’t have to pay for it. I was SO impressed with that!

He was a gruff man, like my dad, but always very nice to me.

He passed away yesterday and my mind flooded with all of these memories and more.

Even though I haven’t seen him in years, I will miss him.

I take a certain pleasure in knowing that he is with my Grandma now.

And that I have memories of all those summers!

No comments:

Post a Comment